Friday, July 15, 2011

La Carne Grill

Sorry for the missed day yesterday. I wished I missed it in full as well, not just on this blog.

On Wednesday evening, we found ourselves in midtown at 5pm and decided to go to La Carne for dinner ahead of a meeting.

Bad choice.

For starters, as many of you may know, NYC’s Health Department now gives letter grades that must be posted prominantly outside each food establishment, similar to Los Angeles. (See http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/rii/index.shtml for a very easy lookup page).

La Carne scored a “B.” I should have never stepped foot inside. (A few minor issues like a missing permit.. Oh, and “Evidence of mice or live mice present in facility's food and/or non-food areas.”) Thankfully I didn’t look up the reason for the grade until after i left.

The place was empty so obviously the service was good, but that’s where “good” ended.

The bread is commercial grade that you can get in any restaurant and not worth the carbs. Thankfully I resisted.  

For the appetizers - the duck spring roll appies were excellent. The merquez itself was great, but the pilaf it was served over was completely burnt flavored and uneatable. The fish pasties were nothing special.

For the mains, the duck was okay- not a stand out dish as it used to be, but not bad. The steak special that we had was unremarkable that I don’t even remember what it was. For our third dish, we had short ribs, which were just gross. (Sorry to my father who used to say “Don’t talk about food that way. If you had no food I bet it wouldn’t be gross”). The sides  of onion rings and avacado mashed potatoes were great.

Bottom line- I have not been there in several years, and for good reason. Sometimes you just need a little reminder. $225 later, I’m definitely reminded.

They're lucky I wasn't the one rating the place because a B would have been generous.

No comments:

Post a Comment