Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Abigael’s

I had a business meeting in midtown last night. I was excited to go to Abigael’s as I have not been there since they renovated.

Over the last ten years or so, Abigael’s has been, hands down, the best overall kosher meat restaurant. By overall, I mean it may not have the best steak, but when all factors are taken into consideration - hours, selection, parking, appies, specials, seat availability, etc. – it ranks the highest.

The one issue many people had with them was that it was getting old. They have tweaked the menus multiple times over the last few years, but it still had the same tired feeling. The renovation, in my mind, fixed that. Though nothing too spectacular, new entry floors, paint, wall fixtures and moldings gave it a more modern appearance instead of looking like the Russian Tea Room. That was all it really needed.

Though I wasn’t in love with my steak, I fault myself for not inquiring if there was olives in the ragout that it sat on.

I need not evaluate the appies, since anybody who eats kosher knows they have the best selection (hungry for a brisket egg roll yet?).

The alcohol selection is always ample, and the service, though not at its peak, is okay. They seem to have many more busboys nowadays instead of waiters, but at least there is a crew on the floor.

The one issue I have is bread. By far, Abigael’s provides the BEST bread on this side of the Atlantic. Problem is getting it. More often than not they don’t bring it. My self-control ( the little that I have) stops me from asking, but really? It’s not like I don’t over order. It’s just pure sloppiness. And if it is a policy of theirs not to offer until asked, shame on them.

Desserts need to be changed up. It’s been at least ten years since they lost their Pastry Chef, but I’m sure they can figure something out.

All in all, as usual, the place rocks.

Abigael’s on Broadway
1407 Broadway, New York, NY 10018
212-575-2584

3 comments:

  1. Agree with everything except dessert. Their dessert is very solid. Fondue with fruit, sorbet, sundae for 2 (more like 20 - its huge) all very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all your great comments… and even the constructive criticism, too. Your comments will only make us better! The renovation is almost complete; another few weeks and the new carpet and chairs will be installed. We’re excited about all that we’ve been able to accomplish over the last few weeks. We’ve even added a music night on Thursdays, which has had a great response. Thanks again for taking the time to share your visit to Abigael’s with your readers. We look forward to having you back again soon. Thanks also to our other guest that enjoys the desserts. That Sundae is for four… it is massive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. See above comment. Thats whats nice about Abigaels. They listen to you. I always loved them and go there often. Thier Food is great, yes allot of the smae things, but im not complianing. Id rather eat something good and predcitable, then something new but not good. The only reccomendation I have is that his staff needs to be more proffesional and servce a bit better. It could be due to the fact that they have allot of bus biys and I confuse them with wiaters, possibly, but that is a probelem in itself! When Im paying good money to eat out, i prefer workers that speak and understand proper english....

    ReplyDelete