Thursday, August 4, 2011

Shelly’s


You know the summer is in full swing when it’s time to start eating dairy for most of the 9 days.

There is no better time to head out to Teaneck’s dairy restaurants, which I am a big fan off (see Mocha Bleu and Rabica posts).

This past Tuesday night, I went out to Shelly’s. Having worked there beginning with their second day of operation back in 1993, and having met my wife there, you might think I was traumatized (my wife doesn’t read this - maybe now she will). Not at all. As my Amex bills will show, I am a big fan of Noah’s Ark and Shelly’s. I challenge anybody to name a better sit down place where you can get a deli sandwich with your kids, without caring what you wear, and never a worry if there will be a parking spot.

Back to Shelly’s. There is no better time to go than the 9 days (or Mother’s day). The menu is new, fresh and innovative. Since Noah’s Ark was closed, there was an abundance of servers/busboys/kitchen staff. So much so that I thought I was in an Ecuadorian town.  We ordered a great selection of appys, from cheddar and black bean stuffed potato skins to flat bread pizza.

For our mains, the sea bass melted in our mouth. We make it a point to order Mac n Cheese wherever we go. It takes a good chef to differentiate Mac n Cheese from Wacky Macs. This one hit it on the spot. The tuna tostados were spiced to perfection that even a non-fish eater would try them.

While we wished they had more ruggies for dessert, I probably don’t need any more of those after living on them for most of my teenage years. The mousse on a plate of brownies was clearly not on my diet, but definitely one of the upsides to going to a dairy place.

And thankfully, they had diet Dr Browns. Makes the mac n cheese go down healthier.

I tried to make sure the bathrooms were clean, but there was a line.

All in all, a great meal at an affordable price ($172 with tip for four people).

Shelly's 482 Cedar Lane, Teaneck
201-692-0001

No comments:

Post a Comment