Monday, September 5, 2011

Guest Post- LA in NYC! Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf opens

Guest Post below from Queens, though I'm heading there for lunch today..

This past Sunday I decided to surprise my wife by spending a day in the city. Since I had formal dinner plans on the early side, I needed to find a lunch place that was cheap and not over-filling. I had heard that coffee bean was coming to NYC, so I googled it and luckily enough it had just opened this past week.

I was very surprised at the lack of publicity it received, leading me to believe it would be a hole in the wall but to my surprise it was the biggest coffee bean I have been in to date.

The new staff didn't miss a beat. It seemed like they had been there for years.

The obvious difference between the NYC coffee bean and the west coast coffee beans is the lack of outdoor seating. JalapeƱo bagel was there (although they changed the look of the bagel entirely- taste is the same... They now melt cheese on the top of the bagel)

The pastries are amazing and exactly the same as the west coast. I got the caramel blend with whip cream and it was very solid. My wife had an everything bagel with cream cheese. This leads me to my problem with Coffee Bean, why don't they spread the cream cheese on the bagel for you????

The truth is it's better than your average bagel store throwing on a pound of cream cheese, but it just seems so tier 2.

My meal of 2 bagels and cream cheese, 2 small drinks and a cheese danish ran me $14. Not bad for lunch for 2 in midtown Manhattan!

Coffee Bean is sure to make its mark in NYC. J2 Pizza and Milk N' Honey may need to start reducing prices in order to keep a flow similar to that of the past few years.

Head out to Coffee Bean, it's worth the trip.

Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf

1412 Broadway (at 39th Street)

No comments:

Post a Comment